<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, July 10, 2004

And for anyone who thinks the Red Sox are dead, check out the box scores of any paper today. Hope springs eternal, and for once, the fact that we're early in the season actually works in favor of the Fenway Faithful instead of against...

For anyone who thinks lessons have been learned, that we now have cleared the way to get better intelligence on terrorism going forward, think again.

While the CIA worked overtime to uncover ANYTHING that might support the Administration's rush to war in Iraq, the Justice Dept continues to spend valuable resources to prevent potentially embarrassing and revealing information about pre 9/11 intel about Al Queda intentions from seeing the light of day.

Sibel Edmonds, a former FBI translator who's gone public about mismanagement and missed intelligence at the bureau both before and after 9/11, has been fired and even now continues to be the target of legal action by Justice. When she claimed whistleblower status under Federal law, Ashcroft's lawyers countered that she must be muzzled under a "state secrets" exception to the whistleblower law's enforcement.

Justice says that even public discussion of her charges in court poses a threat to national security. She claims her information would lead to criminal prosecution of high-ranking officals. See the following sources for more... For basics, CNN

Also hear streaming audio on"The Connection" on NPR

...and more detail in The Baltimore Sun with transcript of a rambling discussion with Ms. Edmonds.

The Senate report on Iraq intelligence leaves only one big question-- was the massive failure to report evidence contrary to the stated position of the Bush White House due to a predisposition on the part of the CIA or a demand for the "right" answers on the part of the Administration?

Oh, and do we call Bush/ Cheney to account for this or buy their daily shifting explanations for the war?

See the Washington Post analysis by Dana Milbank and Walter Pincus on fixing the blame.

Friday, July 09, 2004

If you wonder about the possibility of "Kenny Boy" Lay getting off, how unfair that might be, ponder this. The Enron board of directors will all do just fine. Nobody's going to jail in this bunch. In fact, outside of a few million in civil suits, they're all continuing on their merry way. See the Houston Chronicle for more...

Thursday, July 08, 2004

"Kenny Boy" Lay, former Bush supporter, former Enron CEO, has finally been indicted.

His defense? It was just business. What he did might have been represensible, but was it illegal?

We'll see. Check out NPR report and Houston Chronicle.

Also, it's a good read to take in Paul O'Neill's account (The Price of Loyalty by Ron Suskind) of the internal discussions in the Bush White House after the Enron scandal broke. O'Neill atttempted to make CEO's legally responsible for the earnings reports they churn out. Guess what didn't happen...

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

It's the kind of fine summer day that makes you forget you'll soon be frying eggs on the New York sidewalk.

A friend views the upcoming Vice Presidential debate as a contest between Dr. Strangelove and The Smile (or the Breck Girl).

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

We took a commuter train yesterday with a young Army Ranger on 120 days leave from Iraq. He’d been to Afghanistan and was then shipped out to Iraq next. He was very high on the mission and felt that the press has it all wrong there. He said they’d find WMD, to give them time. He said that 85% of the Iraqis are behind the American invasion, that it’s only the other 15% they worry about. They’ll be there another year, he said.

We told him we’re not high on Bush’s policy, but we have nothing but gratitude for him and anyone else putting their life on the line for our country.

He felt he was there because of what happened on September 11. Bush came to Baghdad last Thanksgiving and told them so. He’s very positive about Bush.

Keep safe. I wish I believed you were right about the situation on the ground. I doubt it will be that simple. But at this point, I have to hope you’re more right than wrong about the prognosis. I worry at least as much about what’s happening in Afghanistan since they shipped you off to fight Saddam.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?